After nearly three months, I’m still using Mozilla‘s Firefox as my default browser. It’s just too good not to do so. Since I recently switched hosts, I decided to take a better look at my stats. It seems that somewhere around 5% of you agree with my decision – at least to the extent that you also use a Mozilla-based browser (though that is not necessarily Firefox).
It turns out that it was surprisingly easy to move from one host to another. I’d love to think it’s simply my own brilliance, but let’s be honest here. Much of the work was easy because I had a copy of the data on my own PC. It was a bit out-of-date, but the general structure was in place. That saved a load of time, especially as I couldn’t get FTP access to my prior host.
After two weeks or so, I’m still using Mozilla Firefox as my primary browser. I haven’t yet completely dumped MSIE, but I have only fired it up two or three times thus far. Primarily to check and see if the problems I was having in Firefox were browser-related or not (they were not).
One huge benefit to Firefox: EditCSS. This extension to the browser means you can open the CSS on any web page, tinker with it, and see your results live. Very helpful for debugging problems with funky web pages that just don’t want to display correctly when you think they should. Theoretically, you could also steal CSS very easily. Don’t do that.
It was bound to happen. Microsoft‘s Internet Explorer finally just broke. Nothing fancy, no bells, whistles or fireworks. It just died. For some unknown reason, cookies are no longer working. There are a handful that are set, and more are accepted because they keep piling up. But the ones I want to work (Observer login, Bloglines login) don’t.
I needed to concatenate some information in a table, and I wanted to do it with a SQL query, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to combine the two strings (one a constant, the other a field name) in order to produce a joined value.
Finally, I found it- concat.
update tablename set fieldname = 'constant' concat 'fieldname'
I was redesigning the plugin pages to get the documentation into a useful format, and found that I needed an anchor tag so that the reader could jump to a particular place in the document.
The other day, I had the need to attach to a Microsoft SQL Server database that a customer had sent on CD. Not a backup mind you, just the raw files. Took me a little while to figure out this puzzler, so I figured I’d post it here in case you had run into the same thing.
As I mentioned yesterday, I recently managed to hack the Movable Type search module in order to provide Last-Modified dates on my search results. This is useful, as it may help save in bandwidth costs. Instead of having a Last-Modified date of whenever the search was run, the Last-Modified date will be from the last modification of the search results.