I was reading through MT Plus Comment Spam Equals Dead Site again (an interesting read), which prompted me to consider many of the points within. For those who don’t know, this post, along with the activity that generated it, was a big part of the reason behind the development of MT-Approval. I was doing it anyway, but that forced the issue to happen a bit faster.
In the last example, I showed you how to list pending comments so that you may easily delete them. This actually works and you should be fine with it. However, there are some other changes that you may want to make so that this feature will be better integrated.
So MT-Moderate automatically moderates most comments that you’ll want moderated. This is a huge step in blocking comment spam. If it doesn’t show up on the site, then that’s most of the battle. In fact, for some people, it is all of the battle. All you have to do is occasionally approve some comments that come in, because you’d like to see them on your blog. Those pending comments that contain nothing but spam? Ignore them. Done, problem solved.
Ben and Mena are at center stage now, announcing the new Movable Type 3.1 product. It’s scheduled to go into beta soon, and should be released next month. Ben said last night at the developer’s dinner that it would be August 31 (cute again), but that date hasn’t been mentioned again.
While it isn’t commonly used, the OPML spec allows for recursive data – that is, folders with folders within folders. However, until Version 2.0.0 of MT-Outliner, you couldn’t get at this data easily – at least not for displaying it on your Movable Type-powered blog.
Now I’ve added an MTOutlinerRecurse tag to MT-Outliner. I put together a page with the details on how it works, but at least for me, the subject is difficult to grasp when reading about it – but it does work! Try playing with the tag to see how it can add additional dimensions to your OPML output. You will, of course, need to have these multiple levels in your OPML files!
Many thanks to David Raynes, not only for starting me down the recursion path with his SubCategories plugin, but for responding to my email asking for help!
It turns out that it was surprisingly easy to move from one host to another. I’d love to think it’s simply my own brilliance, but let’s be honest here. Much of the work was easy because I had a copy of the data on my own PC. It was a bit out-of-date, but the general structure was in place. That saved a load of time, especially as I couldn’t get FTP access to my prior host.
As I mentioned yesterday, I recently managed to hack the Movable Type search module in order to provide Last-Modified dates on my search results. This is useful, as it may help save in bandwidth costs. Instead of having a Last-Modified date of whenever the search was run, the Last-Modified date will be from the last modification of the search results.